Simple but Sure-Fire Ways to Overcome Insomnia
The most common sleep disorder is insomnia, the inability of a person to fall asleep or to remain throughout the night. A common cause is worry but it may also be caused by diverse physical and mental conditions that prevent a person from relaxing.
People who have insomnia have a hard time to sleep at night. They often find themselves wondering why they are wide-awake in the middle of the night or sleeping hours. They feel sleepy and restless during the day.
Some possible reasons include stress, tension, excessive drink of coffee and other stimulants, too much coffee and other stimulants, too much smoking, uremia or high level of ammonia in the blood, excitement, irregular bedtime hours, noises, digestive disturbances, respiratory distress, thyroid problems and uncomfortable bed or bedroom.
Below are simple remedies that may help people with insomnia to sleep.
- Have a regular sleeping and wake-up hours. If you have to, use an alarm clock until such time that you can wake up on your own.
- Avoid too much drinking of coffee, wines, beers, and other stimulants before bedtime. Instead, try drinking a glass of warm milk before going to bed to help you fall asleep faster.
- Avoid heavy smoking, especially at night. Smoking can keep you awake and active.
- Sleep in a well-ventilated room and comfortable bed. Use pillows that support your back and neck well.
- Eat light snacks before bedtime. Eating a heavy meal will not only make it difficult for you to sleep; it may also pose some serious digestive problems.
- Have a regular exercise routine, but not before sleeping.
- Read relaxing books and articles, or listen to soothing music as you go to bed.
- Drink warm milk or take a quick warm shower before retiring to bed.
- Don’t watch TV shows or do paper works when in bed. Go only to bed when you are about to sleep.
- Avoid taking a long nap during the day or in the afternoon. If you really have to, limit it to 30 or 40 minutes only.
If these steps do not work, classified sedatives or medicines may be prescribed by a doctor to take to help bring back normal sleeping habits while finding a cure for the insomnia. But these medicines makes a person dependent in using it so doctors only give it for a short time.